Participants: Bruno, Katie, Vasilis, Nick
Describe each others sketches
Bruno discussing Katie’s
- rules can be added and shared
- connecting values with the rule via categories
- rules with group name, rule, and context
- maybe in another section in karrot? not within the groups?
- also linking to karrot vision, which kind of groups karrot is for, principles and practises
- like making categories explicit, connected to goals/values, and groups collaborating, maybe can be combined!
- One page to present the group structure and constitution, including mission
- it gives hints on what to include on the box. based on what other groups did
- chat to comment on the above
- One page for rules (or rather agreement) section, how they connect to values, what the context is (which place, etc)
- general chat for the above and for governance
- One page for change proposal. It can be directly applied or just faded, open some time for discussion and modifications
- creator of group or later editors (via the trust system) of the group can edit the mission/values/agreement
- who can edit, left out of this
- viewable by everyone
- a banner (and maybe notification) to show people clearly to go and read all this stuff
- can add comments, give feedback under each of the parts of the constitusion/mission, maybe specifically commenting about the last changes
- negative feedback can initiative a discussion or change process
- focused on new groups, when starting the group setting some initial rules
- people prompted to understand karrot values and constitution (golden rules, etc)
- then can add the groups constitution and rules
- everyone can add rules (linked to some part of the vision/constitution), but they’re considering pending, with discussion invited, can be agreed/voted for it to become added
- can be published to the common library and own group
- emergency rule for more immediate needs (e.g. covid-19)
Meta thoughts on how to continue the process
- how do progress this into development?
- focus on this idea? or try sketching another idea at another point?
A round to discuss most interesting parts to each of us across all the diagrams
- good to have visible clear place for discussions / commenting with the rules and constitution
- including suggestions for rules, ie… he rule libary
- trickiest part is the process, just changing things, or more contested, proposals/faded items, voting?
- need to think about different perspectives from user journeys. about established groups, new groups, etc… active members, less active members… maybe focus on one of those aspects.
- query about how the categories from katies idea. sketch was focused on library, but could work that a new group can see the rules, picking and choosing based on the categories, to form their own rule book, later could add more. missing: how it fits into existing groups more, copying existing rules in? how does the flow work, how does it fit in with the rule library. rule library for prompting inspiration.
- really like the idea of picking from the categories when setting up the group, existing groups may have to put labels on their group too, like tags (“sharing is caring”, etc), might simplify by having the categories
- should not be mandatory to adopt a bunch of rules that come with the category, but could opt-in to choose some of them
- more focused on new groups
- interesting how we make the rules, how does a proposition become a rule
- also interest in the general golden rules kind of things about karrot, it’s culture, how to learn about it?
- really important to think about the different user journies, first thing is to imagine what the rule library will look like, then thinking about the different ways that people get there, probably used more by new groups, or new members in old groups, wonder how much older existing groups would be up for it
- really important to have a discussion place, within the group, then getting shared to the library (so it’s already understood/explained by then)
- upvoting when in library maybe (like reddit)
- from brunos/katies, using specific language, agreement vs rule (inspirational aspects), categories → visions
- process of discussion a rule when it’s being implemented or reviewed, when it’s made and who makes them. hopefully it can be open to everyone to make rules
- will probably end up with active people making rules, and the passive ones in the background (example of eu petitions, limiting how much individual people can do to encourage participation), how can we encourage the less active users?
- wants it all, but feels there should be some focus
- rule library idea is quite central
- a complicated way of making proposals and discussions is too much
- helping guide groups on finding the right rules and how they connect to values
- a reflection on a organization in which rules are not made by people actually participating in the project
- wants to work more on the idea of the rule library, how they are shared and categorized
check sketches again and pick most interesting ideas
rule library very central
exchange of ideas between groups
discussion within groups about rules/agreements
Another quick round of sketches (15 mins)
Nick on his own with pen and paper, Katie, Bruno and Vasilis together on Excalidraw
- how to handle the case of new groups who need a simple thing to get started
- should start simple, maybe add in one component at a time?
- excalidraw sketch is focusing on new group, and a simple setup
- are we going to prototype and test with people? we could choose one of them
- the new group workflow can actually be used for existing groups for them to initially setup the governance stuff
For next meeting
sketch more async before next meeting
convert hand drawn one into excalidraw
Vasilis, Bruno and Katie will try to find a time to work together on their sketch
Facilitator for next meeting: Vasilis