Weekly call about Karrot development 2021

Date: 2021-06-07 12:00 (UTC+1)
Facilitator: Bruno
Notary:
Participants: Katie, Bruno, Vasilis, Sabina, Rakel

1. Check in and Updates

  • agree duration : 1 h
  • checkin
  • Add updates/celebrations here (if you have any)
    • some performance issues that got solved by Tilmann and Nick

2. Discussion points

  • Rakel and Sabinas updates on their thesis
    • Rakel contacted all the groups since they did not get a lot at the beginning
    • 33 answers on the survey, 8 interviews
    • Belgium seems very active: a third of the survey
    • Some preliminary results before the actual report
      • barriers in participating
        • do not know about the chat/forum
        • do not have the technical knowledge or too complicated (believe they have to be developers)
        • lack of time
        • generally not interested
      • there’s a will to participate, now that they know that they can contribute
        • it would be good to focus on making it easy that users giving feedback (overcome problems of lack of time and not knowing where to do it)
      • motivation to participate
        • seeing the result of their feedback
        • easy access to where to give the feedback (maybe links to chat or forum within the group)
    • Katie explains there was some confusion from the beginning when assigning a supervisor to them, since the main supervisor got a very different approach, like focusing on Swedish groups only
      • data collected is nonetheless useful to us
      • we can have access to interviews and survey results
      • besides information on barriers to participation, there’s interesting data on what people want, usability, their needs, etc.
  • Vasilis is working on his annual progress report for his thesis
    • wants to have a conversation to align his work with what we are doing
    • to be discussed on the next weekly meeting

3. Actions/Outcomes

4. Closing Ceremony

  • pick facilitator for next week
  • checkout

5. Next

Next meeting: 2021-06-14 12:00 (UTC+1)
Next facilitator: Vasilis

Date: 2021-06-14 12:00 (UTC+1)
Facilitator: Nick
Notary:
Participants: Nick, Metin, Katie, Vasileios, Bruno

1. Check in and Updates

2. Discussion points

3. Actions/Outcomes

  • create places in the Karrot Team & Feedback group for 3 topics:
    • book club
    • design process
    • outreach
  • session discussing trust mechanism on Karrot

4. Closing Ceremony

  • pick facilitator for next week
  • checkout

5. Next

Next meeting: 2021-06-21 12:00 (UTC+1)
Next facilitator: Vasilis
Where: Jitsi Meet

Date: 2021-06-21 12:00 (UTC+1)
Facilitator: Vasilis
Notary:
Participants: Vasilis, Nick, Bruno, Metin

1. Check in and Updates

  • agree duration
  • checkin
  • Add updates/celebrations here (if you have any)

2. Discussion points

  • Using Karrot for our team
    • Possibility to delete messages on Karrot
      • Vasilis experienced that need
      • Nick thinks having a time-frame for deletion would be a good idea
      • Time-frame for editing is 2 days
      • It’d show “This message has been deleted”
  • meta-description
  • Updates from Rakel and Sabina
    • didn’t join the call
  • How the presentation on Foodsharing festival go? ( I think we never talked on that)
    • postpone to when there are more people in the call
  • Trust mechanisms and research on that
    • Vasilis will check Sandro’s thesis out and maybe get in touch with him
    • word “trust” can awkward in some contexts, judgemental? approval? although some people can understand words in more specific contexts in software
    • “functional trust” → trust to do something specific
  • social.coop community cafe session
  • “UK community fund” funding
  • book meeting with Thomas Swann?
    • 29th or 2nd?
    • Vasilis will check a time, Bruno and Nick flexible

3. Actions/Outcomes

4. Closing Ceremony

  • pick facilitator for next week
  • checkout

5. Next

Next meeting: 2021-06-28 12:00 (UTC+1)
Next facilitator:
Where: Jitsi Meet

1 Like

Date: 2021-06-28 12:00 (UTC+1)
Facilitator: Nick
Notary:
Participants: Nick, Bruno, Vasileios

1. Check in and Updates

  • agree duration 1h
  • checkin
  • Add updates/celebrations here (if you have any)

2. Discussion points

  • should we introduce deadlines for work in karrot?
    • seem to be effective in many projects at Getting Stuff Done
    • maybe a gentle social pressure can help it? win/lose carrots? get whiped?
  • social.coop community cafe session
    • proposed date 2021-07-06 at 18:00 CEST
    • “Hands on introductory session about Karrot”
    • need to then promote it on social.coop / fediverse
    • maybe less focus on history
    • focus more on social/political organising structure, digital tools, etc…
  • chat about some related projects
    • Gemeinsam kochen: issmit.app — Crowdfunding bei wemakeit
    • https://commoningsystem.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/Global-Commoning-System-Part-1.pdf
    • https://whatscookin.us/
    • https://mutualaid.world/
      • thinking of the role for the other end of the chain to participate within the software
      • we inherited foodsharing.de model, where stores don’t use the platform
      • … but maybe employees of stores are busy, so easier to just make agreement for regular pickups up front
      • but maybe depends on who is providing the surplus, supermarket chain maybe don’t need to use a tool, but a smaller provider might get some benefit
      • relating to queueing stuff that has to be done, maybe instead of central social events, could have more peer to peer organising of the resources
      • a lot of ideas and potential! expanding beyond the group boundary (“breaking the silo”), good idea to plan some structure/strategy for doing this, but what do we want to do before expanding that scope, another design process?
      • being realistic about capacity
      • maybe this is system 4 stuff in VSM, strategy relating to the wider community/society/environment
      • need to get more of an overview of our strategy/path/direction, visual especially, mind map
      • could do an excalidraw session
      • karrot as a legal entity? when would that make sense?
      • also how to deal with culture of money, and work
  • regular community calls
    • coming from ideas discussed in the foodsharing festival call
    • monthly call where anybody from the groups could drop in?
    • “feedback” sessions
    • start with a one off? and go from there?
    • could be challenging to manage the different perspectives, of groups vs core team?
      • who makes decisions? faciliates?
      • or more inter-group calls, started by people in groups
    • over time I (Nick) would like it to feel like the groups “own” karrot
    • people might just see the calls as “general feedback”, bugs, features…
    • can keep all these open questions in mind
    • first session like “let’s meet each other” kind of session
      • go through their group history
      • how they use karrot
      • what kind of values do they have
      • help us to understand who is using karrot
  • rename github org? MOVE TO NEXT WEEK
    • current: yunity · GitHub
    • also have empty: fsww · GitHub
    • rename, or new org?
    • name ideas:
      • (“karrot” is already taken)
      • karrotorg
      • wearekarrot
      • getkarrot
      • karrotproject
      • karrotdev
      • karrotworld

3. Actions/Outcomes

  • do mind maps/diagrams for Karrot’s development strategy to next Monday (Bruno, Nick, Vasilis)
  • plan the first community call, time poll on community forum (Vasilis to start writing a text, maybe somebody else to post it?)

4. Closing Ceremony

  • pick facilitator for next week
  • checkout

5. Next

Next meeting: 2021-07-05 12:00 (UTC+1)
Next facilitator: Bruno
Where: Jitsi Meet

1 Like

Date: 2021-07-05 12:00 (UTC+1)
Facilitator: Bruno
Notary:
Participants: Nick, Vasilis, Bruno

1. Check in and Updates

  • agree duration 1h
  • checkin
  • Add updates/celebrations here (if you have any)

2. Discussion points

  • some ramblings on the end of nicks check-in
    • relationship of tech-centric vs … non-tech-centric perspectives?
    • trying to align two groups to work together
    • tech in service of the bigger idea
    • two layers of economic-logic when working: regular money, beyond-money value (wellbeing? purpose? meaning?)
      • the relationship of those two layers differs from commercial projects to ones like karrot, but still both exist
  • discuss diagrams: Excalidraw | Hand-drawn look & feel • Collaborative • Secure
    • Brunos diagram, 4 parts
      • new features alreayd planned/understood
      • small bugs, usability improvements, maintaince
      • overall karrot aspects, interaction between groups, grand strategy, funding, outreach
      • specific spaces for co-ordination and decision making
    • Vasileios’s diagram, similar to Brunos :), 5 levels
      • daily management, sustaining
      • participation, forum, other places where people can gather, research, etc
      • funding, legal entity? needs of committed people? avoiding burnout, bigger plans with others
      • research/outreach/visibility, academic part (can connect to funding), outreach media content, blog, social media, etc.
      • grand vision, more participation, variety of initiatives, prefiguration, solidarity/economy project, processes/vocabularies
    • Nick shared thought about work streams (or working groups)
      • each might have 1 or more person of responsiblity, maybe a forum category, some template of it
      • we don’t have so many people right now, but perhaps it can be helpful for getting new/more people
      • emphasising non-developer contributions
      • things like our “breaking the silo” topic would make a good working group
      • some chat about getting more developers, and different motivations
      • possible source of developers → https://www.agileventures.org
    • question:
      • What could be the next step to evolve Karrot?
  • Dave: notifications about applications
    • default setting for application notifications?
      • currently on by default for people
      • maybe should be related to size
  • call with Thomas Swann later
    • prepare anything in advance, or jump in?
    • maybe open chat
    • why we are there → “we found some things that might be useful to inform the design of karrot”
    • if the fit between us is good, then one call is not enough to cover everything, so maybe as an introduction, then ongoing interaction

Bumped to next week :slight_smile:

  • social.coop Community Cafe session tomorrow
  • rename github org?
    • current: yunity · GitHub
    • also have empty: fsww · GitHub
    • rename, or new org?
    • name ideas:
      • (“karrot” is already taken)
      • karrotorg
      • wearekarrot
      • getkarrot
      • karrotproject
      • karrotdev
      • karrotworld

3. Actions/Outcomes

  • find some suggestions on the next steps to evolve Karrot as a community and organisation

4. Closing Ceremony

  • pick facilitator for next week
  • checkout

5. Next

Next meeting: 2021-07-12 12:00 (UTC+1)
Next facilitator:
Where: Jitsi Meet

Karrot groups online cafe!

Running a Karrot groups’ online cafe is an idea that has been discussed more than a few times during the Development call which takes place every Monday.

Let’s then give it a try and make it happen! Let’s share a coffee, a tea or a drink and meet each other, discuss about our groups, our activities, our needs and concerns, our future plans, our summer vacation and the ways we use and don’t use Karrot or other technologies to support our communities.

(And who knows? We might make it at some point to run a real and in-person Karrot festival.)

Small question, is it possible to have such calls after 17:00 UTC+1?

If it not work for you no worries, I’m BA not Developer so I will not have inside from technical point of view :slight_smile:

I think we’ll soon start some regular (maybe monthly?) community calls, and could consider the times for that (maybe should do a time poll here).

I would prefer to keep the weekly calls at the current time, as it takes quite a long time to settle into a rhythm with them after choosing a time (experienced that before!).

this is all from the consideration of my participation, but also one day I might like to go back to just talking about coding, so wouldn’t need to join all these other calls :wink:

we don’t usually talk a lot directly about “developer topics” on any of the calls actually (I would enjoy a bit more dev-talk :frowning: )

1 Like

Date: 2021-07-12 12:00 (UTC+1)
Facilitator: Nick
Notary:
Participants: Nick, Bruno, Vasilis

1. Check in and Updates

  • agree duration 1h, 1h20
  • checkin
  • Add updates/celebrations here (if you have any)
    • talk to Thomas Swann author of book Anarchistic Cybernetics
    • nice session at social.coop’s Community Café
    • lots of PRs merged!

2. Discussion points

  • rename github org?
    • current: yunity · GitHub
    • also have empty: fsww · GitHub
    • rename, or new org?
    • name ideas:
      • (“karrot” is already taken)
      • karrotorg
      • wearekarrot
      • getkarrot
      • karrotproject
      • karrotdev
      • karrotworld
      • karrotcommunity
    • forum poll, then go forward!
    • what to do with non-karrot projects?
      • archive them
      • move them to yunity gitlab
      • move them to kanthaus gitlab
  • organise community call
    • what do we wish to achieve with it?
    • description
      • Karrot groups online cafe!
        Running a Karrot groups’ online cafe is an idea that has been discussed more than a few times.
        Let’s then give it a try and make it happen! Let’s share a coffee, a tea or a drink and meet each other, discuss about our groups, our activities, our needs and concerns, our future plans, our summer vacation and the ways we use and don’t use Karrot or other technologies to support our communities. (And who knows? We might make it at some point to run a real and in-person Karrot festival.)
    • points to add
      • “improve karrot” - giving feedback about karrot itself (making it karrot more central)
        • but maybe this is a chance to get the bigger picture of groups, not the about the tool itself
          • e.g. sharing how they use group, instead of just presenting requests for features, etc.
      • “share experiences” - sharing knowledge between groups?
    • structures
      • should have facilitation (or vasilitation)
      • “present how you organise your group” via screenshare
      • introduce your group (maybe getting a structure for what they can present)
      • over time maybe encourage other people to facilitate, trying to break down barriers between the karrot team and the karrot groups
    • pick a date
      • start with monthly
      • request from Michal for “after 17:00 UTC+1?” (Central Europe) (not Mondays, not Thursdays, not Fridays)
        • so, Wednesday the 28th
      • open question about the recurring part
    • reach out

Move to next week

  • also a weekly dev/tech call perhaps?
    • dev talk feels out of place in weekly co-ordination call now
  • ideas on how to improve Karrot as an organisation
    • based on diagrams and discussion from previous meeting

3. Actions/Outcomes

  • sending Thomas Swann a follow-up email (Vasilis)
  • push forward github org name change (Nick)
  • share info about about first community cafe (Vasilis)

4. Closing Ceremony

  • pick facilitator for next week
  • checkout

5. Next

Next meeting: 2021-07-19 12:00 (UTC+1)
Next facilitator: The Vasilitator
Where: Jitsi Meet

Date: 2021-07-19 12:00 (UTC+1)
Facilitator: The Vasilitator
Notary:
Participants: Bruno, Nick, Vasilis, Janina (<-- yay, welcome back)

1. Check in and Updates

  • agree duration
  • checkin
  • Add updates/celebrations here (if you have any)

2. Discussion points

  • funding application
    • NLnet; User-Operated Internet Fund → funded by a mysterious organization (?)
    • should we contact them before the actual application for a funding?
    • funding application pad: pad to share some thoughts/ideas about nlnet funding - HedgeDoc
    • idea of funding as a commons itself, using participatory budgeting approach?
      • when we last asked on the forum who needs money, not a lot of engagement
    • we might need to do a bit more background/fundemental thinking about how money related to karrot, and the groups
      • a lot of meta-level, about how we organise in general, beyond just open source stuff
      • we might be able to set up a bigger concept of commons-orientated technology project, that we can share the model
    • can also work on the tool itself, which is about commoning
    • two levels: commons governance - maintain the oreration/functionality of the tool
    • how to we actually go from “commons” as a term into what we actually do…
    • code mentoring → training and soft development
    • add more features to costumize groups
    • karrot as an open ended platform → plug in
    • bridge the gap between the developers and the users → empower non-techical people (participatory design process is in this direction)
    • have a clear direction
      • as existing contributors we might actually benefit from more structure, which could support us to contribute more
    • going forward with application
      • writing them a brief email
        • checking if it seems worth submitting…
      • work on the application form → NLnet; Apply for a grant
  • have a weekly dev/tech call perhaps?
    • dev talk feels out of place in weekly co-ordination call now
    • (maybe rename “Weekly call about karrot development”, development → co-ordination?
    • agreement the monday call is not a developer call any more
    • one idea to split the Monday call into two purposes
    • other idea to have a new dedicated call
  • ideas on how to improve Karrot as an organisation
    • based on diagrams and discussion from previous meeting
  • karrot groups’ cafe

3. Actions/Outcomes

4. Closing Ceremony

  • pick facilitator for next week
  • checkout

5. Next

Next meeting: 2021-07-26 12:00 (UTC+1)
Next facilitator: fa-bruno-tator/ facilibruno
Where: Jitsi Meet

Date: 2021-07-26 12:00 (UTC+1)
Facilitator: Bruno
Notary:
Participants: Bruno, Vasilis

1. Check in and Updates

  • agree duration
  • checkin
  • Add updates/celebrations here (if you have any)

2. Discussion points

  • karrot groups’ cafe

    • a loose structure to it (a suggestion, but we want to leave the discussion open)
      • Quick intro of the idea for a cafe and what is point
        • general feedback
        • new ideas for features
        • exchange of experiences between groups
      • checkin and quick introduction
        • present themselves and their respective groups
      • which tools do they use and how they organize
        • screenshare?
    • how long?
      • 1 hour and if people want to stay then longer
    • facilitator?
      • Vasilis and Nick
      • flexible facilitation just in case conversation dies out or looses track too much
  • testing

    • Bruno will contact Wrick (FS Lund) again and invite him to the testing if no female participant can
    • Suggest to have it on a Thursday 3 pm CEST
  • On Thursday’s meetings for the design process, what to do next?

    • first conclude the one we’re doing now. Reflect on the governance design process we had and maybe come up with a better version of it. Design process in the context of democratizing and opening up the design to groups using Karrot.
    • start a new one about “breaking the silo” of groups theme after we’re done with this, or
    • continue adapting/designing Karrot for other non-foodsaving groups
  • summer

    • Vasilis might not be very much available in August. Katie will be back.
  • funding application

3. Actions/Outcomes

  • share Karrot group’s cafe on FS Stockholm (Bruno)
  • reply Wrick from FS Lund about testing and the above (Bruno)
  • write the first draft for the application (Bruno)
  • contact Vasilis Kostakis for some reference on software governance in general (Vasilis)

4. Closing Ceremony

  • pick facilitator for next week
  • checkout

5. Next

Next meeting: 2021-08-02 12:00 (UTC+1)
Next facilitator: Vasilitator
Where: Jitsi Meet

Date: 2021-08-02 12:00 (UTC+1)
Facilitator: Nick
Notary:
Participants: Nick, Bruno

1. Check in and Updates

  • agree duration
  • checkin
  • Add updates/celebrations here (if you have any)
    • application to NLnet

2. Discussion points

  • user testing with Luxembourg
    • Bruno to run user test, Nick to be witness/notetaker
  • work coming up in next couple of weeks (before Nick leaves…)
    • merging some PRs
    • role required activities + trust for role
      • Role based trust + activities · Issue #2361 · yunity/karrot-frontend · GitHub
      • role require UI ideas:
        • Applicant trial pickup proposal - #38 by nicksellen
        • another idea having an “enable access control” (or “restrict access”) toggle which then opens up the role limitation + open slot controls
          • then have a slider for how many of the max slots are for the restricted role
          • tricky bit of whether open slots can be filled by people who do have the role
          • or are the open slots explicitly for “guests” (non-role people)
          • open slots could be useful for things like the main role for people who are experienced vs those who are unskilled helpers
          • could have a visual representation of what the settings mean
            • e.g. show it like an activity, with nice colour coding for the “open” slots
            • also question on how to visualize the open slots
        • “open” vs “guest” terminology
        • (also keeping in mind one day there could be “public” access to selected parts of karrot)
        • this topic has a potential to be much bigger
          • customizable roles for groups (even per place)
        • would be useful to get some clarity on open/closed participants
          • in the code sometimes “participants” means all of them, sometimes just the “non-open” ones
        • how would the transition to having “approved” role work
          • nobody would initially have the approved role, and groups would have to use the “trust for role” for people to get the role
        • will be interesting to see if/how groups use the feature
        • we explord discord UI for related (and unrelated) ideas
  • food rescue alliance contact

3. Actions/Outcomes

  • reply to Daniel with a suggested time for Tuesday user testing (Bruno)

4. Closing Ceremony

  • pick facilitator for next week
  • checkout

5. Next

Next meeting: 2021-08-09 12:00 (UTC+1)
Next facilitator: Nick
Where: Jitsi Meet

Date: 2021-08-09 12:00 (UTC+1)
Facilitator: Nick
Notary:
Participants: Nick, Bruno

1. Check in and Updates

  • agree duration
  • checkin
  • Add updates/celebrations here (if you have any)

2. Discussion points

  • reply to Can Karrot support our food co-op?
  • writing issue for agreements feature
  • Dave’s mockups about roles
  • building up capabilities within the karrot community
    • funding
    • need for more developers
    • plan a future hackaton or just a community gathering is a nice idea
  • new roadmap meeting!
    • we missed the last scheduled one
    • perhaps we feel a bit drifty for now
    • maybe we’re like in a summer pause?
  • conflict resolution process
    • our current feature is designed and works for bigger conflicts potentially involving the whole group
    • many conflicts though are much smaller, and perhaps based on misunderstandings, and don’t work well with our more heavyweight approach
    • we already discussed quite a few times ideas to have “escalating” levels of conflict (e.g. one-to-one, then add in faciliator/mediators, then whole group if needed)
    • but many approaches might be more cultural than “feature” based
    • perhaps could have a way to include good tips for conflict (“are you angry? maybe take some time for breathing”)… or maybe spaces where groups can write tips, or link to useful resources?
    • perhaps non-personalized approach for flagging up some issues, to share how to do things (but avoiding passive aggressive communication)
    • idea to be able to flag in the feedback that some “issue” came up, perhaps somebody then would look through the feedback page and see some that were flagged, then they can discuss them in some space
    • generally being able to flag things as governance discussions, maybe connect to some actions? like start discussion on the agreements, start a poll, etc… general concept of some action buttons
  • topics of dreaming vs doing
    • when are things lovely motivating dreams and ideas, and when do they become expectations? / demands?
    • maybe like NVC requests, not being demands, but gifts about how to do something nice

3. Actions/Outcomes

  • flow with wind and dance with the stars (everyone)

4. Closing Ceremony

  • pick facilitator for next week
  • checkout

5. Next

Next meeting: 2021-08-16 12:00 (UTC+1)
Next facilitator: Bruno
Where: Jitsi Meet

Date: 2021-08-30 12:00 (UTC+1)
Facilitator: Bruno
Notary:
Participants: Vasilis, Bruno

1. Check in and Updates

  • agree duration
  • checkin
  • Add updates/celebrations here (if you have any)

2. Discussion points

  • still haven’t heard from Nlnet
  • updating Vas…
  • agreements feature and user testing
    • we’ll go through the notes next Thursday
    • have a final discussion/reflection with everybody on the process we had
  • community cafe and global commoning system
  • breaking the silo topic
    • seeing how groups work in practice, in their interaction with the outside world
    • 2 layer approach: keep the group organizing (internal) and share information publicly and easy to contact the group (external)

3. Actions/Outcomes

  • go through notes for the agreement feature and see if there is any particular changes (on Thursday)
  • put agreements feature on Github as an issue (Bruno)

4. Closing Ceremony

  • pick facilitator for next week
  • checkout

5. Next

Next meeting: 2021-09-06 12:00 (UTC+1)
Next facilitator: The Vasilitator
Where: Jitsi Meet

Date: 2021-09-06 12:00 (UTC+1)
Facilitator: Vasilis
Participants: Bruno, Vasilis

1. Check in and Updates

2. Discussion points

  • Incubator/funding to work on governance in open source - https://incubator.codeforscience.org/
    • Requires 5-15 hours a month for 6 months
    • we wonder who will be able and want to do it
    • vasilis will make a post on karrot group
  • design call about the prototype
    • we finished talking about the tests and the agreements feature itself
    • notes up on the forum

3. Actions/Outcomes

  • Ask on Karrot group who wants to apply for the incubator (Vasilis)
  • Prepare the guidelines for the agreements feature and share them as an issue on github

4. Closing Ceremony

  • pick facilitator for next week
  • checkout

5. Next

Next meeting: 2021-09-13 12:00 (UTC+1)
Next facilitator: ??
Where: Jitsi Meet

Date: 2021-09-13 12:00 (UTC+1)
Facilitator: Vasilis
Participants: Bruno, Vasilis

1. Check in and Updates

  • agree duration
  • checkin
  • Add updates/celebrations here (if you have any)

2. Discussion points

  • Vasilis research/data collection
    • 3 types of data
      • Ethnographic/personal notes
      • Data about the groups using Karrot
      • Visiting groups doing foodsaving
      • maybe interviews/chats
    • participation in Karrot both in more mundane tasks and also writing about it and present it at different circles
    • avoid research extractivism
    • general inquiry: how digital tools can be created as commons and can empower people in the context of a solidarity/gift/sharing economy
      • foodsaving as a case study
  • Bruno short recap on Thursday’s call (reflection on design process)
    • leave it for thursday
  • Rakel and Sabina 's project
    • should we poke em?

3. Actions/Outcomes

  • Katie ask about Rakel’s/Sabina’s work?

4. Closing Ceremony

  • pick facilitator for next week : Bruno
  • checkout

5. Next

Next meeting: 2021-09-20 12:00 (UTC+1)
Next facilitator: Bruno
Where: Jitsi Meet

Date: 2021-11-02 12:00 (UTC+1)
Facilitator:
Participants: Bruno, Nick, Vasilis

1. Check in and Updates

  • agree duration
  • checkin
  • Add updates/celebrations here (if you have any)

2. Discussion points

  • what’s going on in our lifes, how will we get back to work on Karrot
  • Daniel (Lux) would like to send some money to Karrot (their group got some EU (?) funding)
    • Nick will send an invoice and the money will go to our Karrot account
  • brunos time tue/wed/thu 9:00-14:00 is most available
  • tuesday 12:00 central europe time is good time for us 3 for a regular meeting
  • hearing from Vasileios about academic interests
  • wait and see when/if we get the funding

3. Actions/Outcomes

4. Closing Ceremony

  • pick facilitator for next week
  • checkout

5. Next

Next meeting: 2021-11-09 12:00 (UTC+1)
Next facilitator:
Where: Jitsi Meet

Date: 2021-11-09 12:00 (UTC+1)
Facilitator: Nick
Participants: Nick, Bruno, Vasileios

1. Check in and Updates

  • agree duration ~1h from now (~13:15)
  • checkin
  • Add updates/celebrations here (if you have any)
    • I’m (nick) back!
    • moving community.foodsaving.world to community.karrot.world

2. Discussion points

  • playing with the new ics subscription feature
    • google calender import doesn’t have a space for user/pass
    • nor does outlook (possibly)
    • maybe mac calender doesn’t either…
    • so could have a “magic link” style private link instead, that will be authenticated automatically
  • winter hackathon? (nick)
    • dave already did some designs in Karrot
    • december? january? january seems best
    • good experiences from before: specific invites (Trustroots), online drop-in in different sessions
    • a week of focused work
    • can organise it using karrot, with different activities
    • come up with a list of potential things to do at the hackathon
    • should it even be called hackaton? Maybe something less code-oriented
    • one of points of having it is to engage new people
    • “energy raising” purpose, hard to maintain energy when working in little bits over time
    • useful to define some roles for people, co-ordinating different parts of it
  • meeting with Dave’s UI family member
  • chat with bonfire people
  • some low-hanging fruits to work on?
  • solikyl accepting erasmus +?

3. Actions/Outcomes

  • ping dave, and others, afterwards about hackthon ideas (nick)
  • ponder and reflect before next session (anyone, everyone)
  • co-ordinate when to have a call with bonfire people (nick, to co-ordinate with vasileios, bruno?)

4. Closing Ceremony

  • pick facilitator for next week
  • checkout

5. Next

Next meeting: 2021-11-16 12:00 (UTC+1)
Next facilitator: Vasilitator
Where: Jitsi Meet

Date: 2021-11-16 12:00 (UTC+1)
Facilitator: Everyone
Participants: Nick, Bruno

1. Check in and Updates

  • agree duration
  • checkin
  • Add updates/celebrations here (if you have any)

2. Discussion points

  • nlnet
    • co-ordinating next steps call: Vasilis suggested next Tuesday
    • we should read NGI0-intakedocument.pdf
    • public announcement now too?
      • announcing on forum, in karrot, and on fediverse
    • NLnet; NGI Zero Discovery has karrot listed now
      • strapline is “Save and share food waste” so we should ask to switch to
  • chat with bonfire person/people
  • activities with role
    • member role as the default
    • terminology: “participants” + “guests”? (“extras”?)
    • I’m wondering actually about implementing the more complex one Dave drew in Karrot
      • multiple different role slots
    • the ambition is to make it customizable in the future, so group’s can use their own terminology for the roles
    • also needs the “trust for role” work to make this usable
    • also chatted a bit about other ways to get roles potentially in the future
      • default (e.g. member role)
      • trust
      • self-assigning
      • algorithmically (like discourse badges)
    • this role stuff will be Nick’s main work at the moment
  • invoicing luxembourg
  • call with Dave’s design person
    • last bit of chat:
      • dave: @Nick What about Wednesdays 24 oder Friday 26 of november? Would that work for you? We could also make 6pm instead of 8 pm.
      • nick: yup, either of those work for me, at either time actually… maybe we try an 8pm time so Bruno has a higher chance of being able to join, but otherwise let’s just go for something :slightly_smiling_face:
  • shut down https://chat.karrot.world?
  • PR Place default view Place default page by brnsolikyl · Pull Request #2444 · yunity/karrot-frontend · GitHub
    • we discussed having an Add Location button instead of the toggle (as you can already clear the location with the “x” button)
  • @mentions Add @mentions · Issue #2407 · yunity/karrot-frontend · GitHub
    • @123 @username ?
    • usernames seems maybe the way forward, automatically generate existing ones, and suggest usernames on registration based on display name
    • usernames are for each user across the whole of karrot instance, not per group
    • … not thinking yet about all the notification stuff :slight_smile:

3. Actions/Outcomes

  • announce funding! forum, karrot, fediverse (nick)
  • ask vas to email them to change strapline on NLnet; NGI Zero Discovery from “Save and share food waste” to “Start a group, become a community” (nick)
  • announce change of chat from rocket chat to matrix on our different channels - Karrot group, rocket chat itself and community forum (Bruno)

4. Closing Ceremony

  • pick facilitator for next week
  • checkout

5. Next

Next meeting: 2021-11-23 12:00 (UTC+1)
Next facilitator:
Where: Jitsi Meet

1 Like

1. Check in and Updates

  • agree duration
  • checkin
  • Add updates/celebrations here (if you have any)

2. Review last weeks Actions/Outcomes

  • announce funding! forum, karrot, fediverse (nick) (done)
  • ask vas to email them to change strapline on NLnet; NGI Zero Discovery from “Save and share food waste” to “Start a group, become a community” (nick) (done)
  • announce change of chat from rocket chat to matrix on our different channels - Karrot group, rocket chat itself and community forum (Bruno) (done)

3. Discussion points

  • booking our holiday in the caribbean ;D ;D ;D

  • update from NLnet

    • no updates yet. we expect their reply on when to set up a call
  • reflections on Bonfire meeting

    • origins of bonfire - HedgeDoc
    • Ivan and James participated in the call with Nick
    • Nick thinks its a project quite aligned to Karrot
    • Software is developed but not used yet by any community
    • it can be described as a modular toolkit → a mutual aid platform
    • could we collaborate with bonfire in our effort of ‘breaking the silo’ on Karrot?
    • should we try and ‘formalise’ and better document the collaborative design process we have followed so far so we can share it and discuss about it with other initiatives as well?
    • we could run sth like a solidarity tech real-life meeting that can have a conf structure and collab with initiatives like bonfire
  • intro text from Vas (writing a paper on karrot)
    Introduction v.1.0 (shared with Karrot people) - Google Docs

  • hackathon updates

    • Karrot
    • a lot of questions so far, not so many answers
    • would be nice to align with nlnet roadmap stuff
    • next week start creating a minimal plan of how it works and what we want to work on
    • hackathon as a term doesnt do the job its quite techy so…
      • week of karrot
      • gamejam
      • co-optition
      • jam (this sounds good)
      • wupp-wochenende (wupp days!)
  • meeting with Dave UI person poll…

4. Actions/Outcomes

  • for the next meeting, discussing and planing hackathon

5. Closing Ceremony

  • pick facilitator for next week
  • checkout

6. Next

Next meeting: 2021-11-30 12:00 (UTC+1)
Next facilitator: Bruno
Where: Jitsi Meet

Date: 2021-11-30 12:00 (UTC+1)
Facilitator: Bruno
Participants: Nick, Vasilis, Bruno

1. Check in and Updates

  • agree duration
  • checkin
  • Add updates/celebrations here (if you have any)
    -Github repo changed from yunity to karrot-dev Karrot Dev · GitHub

2. Review last weeks Actions/Outcomes

  • for the next meeting, discussing and planing hackathon

3. Discussion points

  • what is karrot?
    • it’s more a software project
    • foodsharing.de is but also much more
    • in karrot all the stuff going on in the groups stays within the groups
    • also a community around karrot?
  • Updates on meeting Nlnet?
    • wait another week for their reply
  • write a summary/overview of our community design process
  • time to officially shut down Rocket Chat
    • redirect chat.karrot.world → matrix space
    • should we save content?
    • can rocket chat do backups?
    • it has a “download my data” per-user thing… is that enough?
  • de-foodification of Karrot on the pipeline: Update outdated URLs by nicksellen · Pull Request #2455 · karrot-dev/karrot-frontend · GitHub
  • Hackathon
    • date/duration:
      • bruno moves 1st feb, so after that… + 1 week to settle
      • 12th feb to 20th feb?
      • saturday → sunday
      • timeline before that?
        • come up with a name
        • put online form up
        • invite people
        • prepare tools for the session
    • name
      • not hackathon, too techie?
      • jam? karrotjam? <— we like it! karrot jam
      • week of karrot?
      • karrotdays?
      • wuppdays?
    • description
    • async vs sync
      • each day a sync session?
      • morning…?
    • plus some bigger “events”
      • maybe at the weekend bits?
      • more self organised in the week…
    • dreaming, conceptualising, and doing
      • categories above for the sessions
    • opening session, in order to plan
    • closing session, debrief and work ahead
    • invitation
      • ask what people are insteresting in, to plan sessions
      • do we have consent to do mass email to karrot people?
        • might be too much…
      • contacting groups through our existing connections might be good
        • personal emails, and ask if they can invite people in their group
        • with a template (maybe forum post)
    • tools
      • online form for people to put their interests in
        • could be forum? but can do it without having account?
      • some link to share with the info about it (forum post)
      • for the event itself
        • video chat, jitsi, or bbb…
        • community chat space?
          • karrot group? matrix? hackathon group?
          • karrot group! can put sessions as activities…
          • invite people in advance?
      • collaborative design tools
        • miro, etc…
        • excalidraw?
        • making mockups
    • stuff to fix on karrot to make it more useful?
      • nice icons?
      • per-user timezones?
      • long duration activities? (to make one for the whole thing…)
  • local instances? and federation…

4. Actions/Outcomes

5. Closing Ceremony

  • pick facilitator for next week
  • checkout

6. Next

Next meeting: 2021-12-07 12:00 (UTC+1)
Next facilitator: Vasilitator
Where: Jitsi Meet