Sharing public events from other sources

User story:

For a local group, a lot of events are shared, and I thought it would be nice to input them as public activities to collect them altogether. They usually point to eventbrite, or some other source. There is no other single place to collect together all the different events of interest.

However, the public activities feature is a bit confusing for that case, as the public page says it’s an event by the group itself, and not the actual organiser… also you wouldn’t want to create a place for each location for external events, so being able to specify a location directly on an activity would make sense.

In the screenshot you can see where it looks like the group itself is organising the event…

Complexity:

Not clear exactly what would be best here… so depends on the concept.

Outcomes (or what needs to be done to move forward):

Discuss different solutions, see how they might work. I can think of a few things to help that case:

• decide if it’s actually a useful thing to use it for anyway (the need did not come from the group, but from my head… well, I saw someone in the group struggle to find an event in a WhatsApp chat…)
  • being able to set locations for individual activities makes sense to me anyway, regardless of this. I guess they would still be part of a “place” (which doesn’t need to have a location, that could be clearer too…)
  • maybe some extra fields for public activities to correspond to the “what” and “where” fields to allow you to override it for individual activities (sometimes the place it would make sense to have something different to the “internal” view perhaps…)

Spontaneously I just thought of another flow of creating a public activity that makes sense for this case:

Plus (+) button to create activity at the activities page → choose type → choose place or new location → define day and time, description → make it public

Or

Plus (+) button to create activity at the activities page → choose if public event or not → choose type → choose place or new location → define day and time, description

On the latter we could have it a clearer way of overriding the What and Where