Karrot supports public activities already, which can be discovered by a URL or on the group’s page (example Robin Foods). However, there is no possibility for people outside of a group or with no account on Karrot to sign-up for these activities. That is what this feature is about. We have identified from different communities and use cases that this would be very useful for them to interact with the wider public in their local community. This reduces their dependency on setting up events on big social media like Facebook.
EDIT: older topic related to this, in short, idea to enable Karrot to send invitations to public activities through e-mail, using the iCalendar format.
User story: I’m part of an emerging group with a few people in it, and one or two involved in the project that haven’t joined the Karrot group yet. I wanted to create an activity related to the group, so it goes to my personal calendar and invite the person outside, who is regularly using calendar events to our appointments.
I noticed quite many people are used to creating an event in their personal calendar and sending them out to possible attendees, I believe using the iCalendar format. Why not do the same with Karrot, for public activities?
Complexity: not sure, depends on how we design it?
Outcomes (or what needs to be done to move forward): check if this idea would be useful for other groups