Not showing up to pick ups

Hello people!
I am Unai from Foodsharing Bilbao. We are facing small conflicts because of people who sign up for a pick up, do not show up and do not notificate the rest. Any suggestion on that? Danke!

1 Like

I guess your community has to reach some kind of decision of what the best rule is (like to always notify when you give up on a pickup) and how these people could be sanctioned for not following the rule (for example a proportionate penalty of not doing pickups for a week or a month).

Unfortunately sactions are necessary when a few people are careless and could harm the functioning of your community and project. That is one of Ostrom’s principles for governing a commons :wink:

2 Likes

Yes, people need to know that missing a pickup is something that matters. I saw that you already took action, @mettodo, and proposed a penalty of not being allowed for a pickup during the next 14 days - and the people seem to agree with it, right?

I vaguely remember being told about a similar problem when I visited Warsaw last year. Do you still have this issue of people signing up and then not coming to do the pickup, @karolina?

1 Like

Thanks for your answer! You too @bruno.
Well, whatsapp is where people have been more active reacting to the proposal and there are all kinds of opinions…

Actually my proposal has been to “punish” those who do not inform before the pick up that they will not make it to the pick up they signed up for. So there is no penalty for those who sign up and do not show up.

There are some “deeper” issues that I sense now, after opening that discussion on penalties: how to make decisions or the fact that we are not a community but basically just people who use a good working system to save and collect food (anyway, those are other topics ;)).

Would be great to hear from @karolina

1 Like

Very interesting! Then I guess now the time is right to start setting the decision-making structure of this group of people saving food and start investing some time too on meeting each other and creating bonds to increase trust in the group. Probably not everyone in your group will be part of a big foodsaving community but a few dedicated people makes all the difference! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Definitely this needs to be noticed and punished in some way as this is super annoying for the shops. We have developed a whole system now of rules and we are now developing a group that will deal with breaking the rules. Quite similar to German Foodsharing, but still a bit simpler. I think blocking people for some time might be good solution for some of them, but not effective for those who anyway pick up not that often. We have now a sequence of punishments: 0) talk and see 1) warning 2) yellow card 3) red card = Karrot process of throwing people out. We have a separate table for noting these things and we will soon have a democratically chosen committee to judge these. Would be good if some of these were possible also within Karrot. Some time ago we were proposing rotten karrots/potatoes. Also, we still think that 3 carrots is much too little to give people editing rights. Maybe is should be some % of the number of people in a group (10%?) not a fixed number.

2 Likes