NLnet funding application successful!

:moneybag: Yay! We managed to get some funding, after various failed attempts.

You can see us listed over at NLnet; NGI Zero Discovery now. The next steps are some calls with them to agree on further details about what we’ll be working on, but here’s a snippet from our last email conversation with them about the ideas:

1. malleable tools for self-organization and community building
    a. implement agreements feature (that has already been designed) - New agreements feature · Issue #2441 · yunity/karrot-frontend · GitHub
    b. add softer sanctions for use in conflict resolution process - discussion: Conflict resolution with possibility to remove user from group - Discussions - Karrot Community
    c. implement place types - Add place types · Issue #2244 · yunity/karrot-frontend · GitHub
    d. add roles that groups can define themselves
    e. limiting activities to certain roles - Activities that require role by nicksellen · Pull Request #2421 · yunity/karrot-frontend · GitHub & Applicant trial pickup proposal - Karrot - Karrot Community

2. boosting participation and improving contribution experience
    a. refine and produce an open source handbook detailing our participatory design method
    b. simplify frontend data management
    c. improve frontend testing setup
    d. produce better developer documentation, particularly frontend
    e. organising face-to-face meetings and hackweeks for contributors

3. breaking the silo of group boundaries
    a. conduct a design process to explore what features can better support the groups’ engagement that use Karrot with the wider public
    b. implement the outcome from the design process, a minimum viable feature, in an iterative way

4. growth and federation
    a. explore options for sharing public information about groups more widely
    b. support public group information to federate across instances
    c. connecting to groups and networks that might benefit from using Karrot

I’m very excited now, I think this will really help, not just about the money, but also the structure, focus, and connection with wider networks.

Thanks everyone for your support and everything :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Now its official official! Memorandum of Understanding was finally signed!
We ll keep everyone updated here!

3 Likes

Here are the tasks from the final agreed MoU (Annexe 1): 2021-08-097_signed_annexe1.pdf (78.1 KB)

1 Like

Also related to How to distribute money in Karrot

1. Facilitate self-hosting of Karrot

:clap: :clap:

1 Like

Out of interest, do you have a particular use case for this? Or general interest? And any hints on what kind of self-hosting is most useful from your perspective? (we specified making it available for https://coopcloud.tech and also some more generalized documentation which could cover other use cases).

Not specifically. There is a huge gap between the intention of providing self-hosting and actually doing it. It needs funding, it does not just happen magically. Hence the applause, if that makes sense?

1 Like

yup, aiming for the “one click” experience, well, at least for co-op cloud users…

and yes, easy to support self-hosting in theory, but in practise various fiddly bits to achieving full experience of “main” instance (which are genuinely tricky, e.g. push messaging, and mobile app stores… will probably have to leave those out initially…).

There is one rather insignificant (and definitely not-compatible-with-this-world) human being who would appreciate this to host the workshop/tools-sharing/atelier place and the ecosystem of (handi)crafts -men and -women /makers built around it that they are (very) slowly growing/gardening (the building itself is almost finished).

It’s current Pracownia 1-101 group in Karrot. You can read more about it in the detailed description (after joining the group) or in the OpenCollective account of the place.

Instructions how to do it yourself would already be great (and probably enough as for this use case). I plan to fork the repo anyways - to be independent with the development (so I wouldn’t use your hosting anyways).

I’ll make a separate post for it (about alternatives to Karrot).

I am aware that by writing this I may be actually making it less probable to happen. Please try to understand me.

(I am recently mastering solo-discussions)

I guess for generalized Karrot it might be an option interesting to consider too, that different domains are separated from each other and hosted by dedicated instances: one for food sharing communities, other for tools / skills sharing, yet another one for parent’s coops, etc. Potentially.

And then over time they may divide and become more independent/differentiate even more.